Use the following steps to determine if your Pool or Pond is leaking.
- Bring the pool water to normal level. Fill a 5-gallon bucket with pool/pond water to about two-thirds from the top.
- Place the bucket on the first or second step of the pool/pond. Ensure the bucket is immersed in the pool/pond at least five inches.
- Mark the water level inside the bucket.
- Shut off the pump and auto fill and mark the pool/pond water level on the outside of the bucket.
- Resume normal pool pump operation.
- After 24 hours, compare the two water levels. If the pool water (outside mark) goes down more than the bucket's water level, there is probably a leak. If levels are the same, only evaporation has occurred.
In case of rain, repeat the bucket test. Expect water loss from normal evaporation. Test is invalid after 24 hours.
A quarter inch of water loss per day is most likely evaporation. The evaporation rate in your area will depend on humidity, sunlight intensity, barometric pressure, wind and the level of activity in the pool or spa.
After the bucket test is completed, use the pool leak calculator to determine how many gallons you're losing in a 24-hour period, an hour, and even per minute.